We might think we already know who we truly are. Well, I thought the same about myself. But I was wrong. Every day, I learned something new about myself, especially when faced with a new situation. Sometimes I’m surprised at how strong I was and other times I kind of expected on how I would react to certain things already. I notice how I act differently now compared to how I would before. I mean, not much has changed but how I deal with things change. Experience has taught me so much and here are the things I learned about me along the way:
1. I was a painfully shy girl growing up that even answering a phone sounds really scary that I’ll end up ignoring it. Well I’m still quiet sometimes especially with new people but I learned how to open up more. It’s not easy but it’s bearable.
2. I never thought I could easily let go of my long term 5-year relationship. I was surprised I have this strength in me. Letting go isn’t so bad at all. It even feels great once you get used to being single again.
3. I used to be so materialistic. Well, I still kind of am. A little. But send me to a place full of nature and I’ll feel complete and happy. Little things and moments like that is always greater than expensive things.
4. I used to be that girl with no friends and won’t talk to anyone but I now try so hard to get to know others and I found out people are just people and they shouldn’t make you feel nervous. I met interesting people along the way and they’re all wonderful.
5. I can be really honest and frank. I might be a secretive and mysterious person, but when I really feel the need to express my opinion, I will really tell you. No matter how it hurts both me and the other person. My heart feels lighter after that.
6. I smile and listen more to people. It’s one way to communicate better. Even if I can’t find the right words to respond, people feels great knowing I listen to them. Smiling makes people smile at you back and the feeling always makes my heart fat.
7. I learned that I don’t have the discipline to stay fit. I hate getting sweaty and exercising makes me sore and the food is just too tempting. I hope this will change soon.
8. I can only get really mad with the people I’m close with. But I don’t hold grudges. After a few minutes, it will all be okay.
9. It really hurts me when I hear someone talk about me in a negative way. I know sometimes my silence bore people out but it hurts when they say it out loud that I’m not fun to be with and they don’t wanna work with me. I guess I just need more time to be comfortable around people. Gosh, why is it so hard?
10. That I can be interesting. I always thought I’m boring to people I’m not really close with and then there’s this girl who was curious about me, found out my blog and noticed how awesome I really am after really talking to me. Well, then, I am interesting after all.
What did you learn about yourself?