I’m not the greatest blogger out there but I’ve been blogging for quite awhile and I surely learned over the years from my own blog and other blogs as well. I know most of you who already follows me owns a personal blog and hopefully you’ll learn from this post.
1. BE YOU. This is the most important thing in personal blogging. Among the world full of personal bloggers, you want to stand out and the best way to do it is to be yourself. Wanna know why? Because you’re a unique person and you don’t want to be like this particular person by trying to be her. After all, this is your blog and this is your life.
2. DESIGN IS EVERYTHING. I won’t argue when you say content is more important, it is. But let’s face it, first impression too is important and readers often look at the design first: it should be pleasing to the eyes, easy to read, clean and easy to navigate to. Plus your design holds your blog all together. Find what works perfectly, what fits best and there you go!
3. KEEP IT SIMPLE. I don’t say that you should all have a minimalistic theme. Just keep your sidebar clean, get rid of the unnecessary widgets. The content of your blog will stand out more if your layout is clean.
4. CHOOSE A UNIQUE URL. Readers will know your blog by this name. Think carefully, know if it describes who you are and don’t change it too often. People will get confused.
5. A BLOG IS ONE THING. A DIARY IS ANOTHER THING. You’re running a personal blog but don’t blog about everything or don’t be too specific. Don’t talk about who you hate that day while dropping names, don’t write about everything that happens to you. Write only moments worth writing. Being truthful can be bad. You’ll never know people will read it and will use it against you.
6. POST ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE. Don’t bore your readers with always a what’s-happening-in-your-life blog post. Think of something you want to talk about like DIY’s, tips, things you love, wish lists, things like that.
7. CONNECT W/ OTHER BLOGGERS. What I love most about blogging is making new friends! Get the most out of this opportunity, read their posts, and leave comment and talk to them from time to time. The only way for readers to visit your blog is to get to know you and connecting to them might do the trick.
8. ENJOY! You don’t blog just cos you have to, you blog because you want to. It’s not about the money or the fame, it’s about expressing yourself. Enjoy everything about blogging and you’ll never know, the perks will just come along.
p.s. photo not mine.